Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 01-07-2017, 07:05 AM

hag01 is on a distinguished road
Default Hollywood Orchestra for live keyboard rig

I'm a pianist and a keyboardist and I would be very very glad to use some of the patches from Hollywood orchestra for real time keyboard playing on my digital piano.

Unfortunately, I assume Hollywood orchestra interface is not designed for keyboard rig but only for playback in a sequencing program, since the dynamics of the patches controlled by modulation and not by velocity.

When I play string patch for example, it's extremely impractical to controll the dynamics via modulation wheel.
I want to controll the dynamics by the amount strength I apply when I hit the keys.

The question is: is there a way to do what I want with Hollywood Orchestra?

Again, I assume not, but I still have some hope it is possible.
If it isn't it would be very sad, as I won't have some other good VI for strings and brass in the near future, I can't afford another high end orchestral library right now, nor in the near future.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

True, Hollywood Orchestra is primarily designed for the use in a sequencer/host. The modwheel design decision is very important and useful for controlling sustained notes, since velocity can't be changed during a note.

I don't know of any option inside PLAY to achieve what you need. There is, however, a slightly more complicated possibility. I have no experience with live rigs, so I can only explain how this works in a sequencer, in my case: Cubase.

In Cubase, there's a MIDI insert effect called "Transformer". With this effect, you can transform one CC/control type into another. If your live setup has anything like this, you can make the PLAY engine think that you're using the modwheel when you're actually using key velocity. You just transform velocity values into CC1 (modwheel) values. This doesn't change anything in PLAY, but in your signal chain before it reaches PLAY.

If I may make a suggestion: can you use a pedal while playing live? I get that the modwheel can be impractical since you're probably playing with both hands - but you've got a foot free, I guess. Mapping an expression pedal to CC1 allows you to adjust volume and timbre over the duration of a note (like the modwheel does) instead of just at the beginning. Believe me, it does sound a lot better.

Let us know your solution. There might come a time when I need a live setup, too. Fingers crossed.

Using: ComposerCloud Complete | and a few Diamond libraries!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Raab View Post
In Cubase, there's a MIDI insert effect called "Transformer". With this effect, you can transform one CC/control type into another. If your live setup has anything like this, you can make the PLAY engine think that you're using the modwheel when you're actually using key velocity. You just transform velocity values into CC1 (modwheel) values. This doesn't change anything in PLAY, but in your signal chain before it reaches PLAY.
That is exactly what I want to do, and I also use Cubase.
I'll try it this evening and I'll update here how good it went.

I hope this effect is included in Cubase Elements 7 becasue that is the Cubase version I'm using.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Unfortunately i've found that this effect is not included in Cubase Elements.
Now I know I'll have to upgrade to at least to Cubase Artist somewhere in the future.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

That's a pity.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 AM

mcdoma2000 is on a distinguished road

Another possibility to look into is Forte software. It's designed to make VST instruments available for live performance.
DAW: SONAR Producer Edition X3
Notation: Sibelius 7
Old 01-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

jdmcox is on a distinguished road

That's a good idea, allowing Velocity to mimic Modulation (or any MIDI CC). I put it into my simple Windows DAW, PianoRollComposer, when I read your question.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Just use PLAY in standalone mode. It all depends on what patches you load, some are velocity sensitive (meaning it depends how hard or press the keys); so you could control both velocity and/or modulation depending on the patch.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
Just use PLAY in standalone mode. It all depends on what patches you load, some are velocity sensitive (meaning it depends how hard or press the keys); so you could control both velocity and/or modulation depending on the patch.
I'm pretty sure hag01 knew this. The question was specifically how to change the behaviour of patches that are controlled by the modwheel.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Raab View Post
I'm pretty sure hag01 knew this. The question was specifically how to change the behaviour of patches that are controlled by the modwheel.
That's what I'm saying....he just needs to load the patches that use key velocity.