Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 03-11-2020, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Marcusmax is on a distinguished road
Default Enough RAM to run HO Diamond?

I am considering upgrading from Hollywood Orchestra Gold to the Diamond version. I would be running it on a slave PC with 32 GB Ram which is the maximum I can have. Would that amount of RAM be too restrictive in terms of being able to load multiple instruments and articulations as well as the different mics?
Mac Mini Server, 2.0 GHz i7 quad core, 16 GB ram / Slave PC, 3.4 GHz i7 quad, 32 GB ram, 275 GB Crucial SSD for libraries / macOS 10.12.6, Windows 7 Pro / Logic Pro X 10.4.4 / Sibelius 6.2 / Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 / Metric Halo ULN-2+DSP / Dynaudio BM5A monitors.

Hollywood Orchestra Gold / Hollywood Solo Instruments Gold / EWQLSO Platinum / multiple other libraries from EW, NI, Soniccouture etc.

"Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." - Carl Jung

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marcusmax

Bandcamp: https://markduberry.bandcamp.com/releases

CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/duberry
Old 03-12-2020, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Hey Marcus,

I've been using HO-D with 32GB of RAM (specs see signature) for ~five years.
It'll obviously depend on your template size, but you'll be getting something decent going.
I've got my personal template in my signature as well. So you can get a feel
for what's possible.

Cheers.

---

And here are a few things, which you can do to improve your DAW capabilities:

- Turn off WIFI and BlueTooth
- Unplug your LAN cable (basically, get off the internet)
- Turn off all background programs such as security etc.
Depending on your security settings, these might actually
be scanning the samples prior to them loading / playing.
- Only open your DAW. Check how many programs are
automatically run upon startup.

NOTE: Please remember that the turned off security settings
should be re-enabled prior to connecting to the internet again!

- Freeze tracks to lower CPU / RAM requirements.
- Bounce to Audio and use a .wav file instead of live playback. This
will result in less system resources being used, but the downside
is that it can't be edited anymore - You can export the MIDI in addition, of course.
- Change the buffer size in your project. We've found that between 512 and 1024 usually results in the best performance.

p. 19: The Sample Cache feature allows you to determine how many
of the samples are loaded directly into RAM or are streamed from the drive.
Test out different levels to see what works best for you.
p. 56: The Sample Purge feature allows you to remove any not used
samples from the RAM.
http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/d...ser-Manual.pdf

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, My Template, Tips and Tricks, OS & DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung 1x T1 & 2x T5 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 7.5-10, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii
Old 03-12-2020, 06:49 AM
Gold Member

Jay Asher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay Asher

I will only point out that Lorenz is on a PC and that Macs are very different.

I too only have 32 GB and I leave my internet connected with no diminution of performance with Logic Pro X. And the audio buffer only affects CPU usage, nothing to do with RAM.

But the rest is in my view, solid advice.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

True. It's more of an overall improvement tips.

Windows has the tendency to do auto-updates unless disabled or you're not on the net. Marcus did mention that he's using a "slave PC", so I thought to include it. From the whole list, it's probably the one thing that will make the littlest overall impact.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, My Template, Tips and Tricks, OS & DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung 1x T1 & 2x T5 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers

Last edited by LMW; 03-12-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Many thanks guys for your replies. Yes the slave is a Windows 7 PC. So it sounds like I might be able to make good use of Diamond even with only 32 GB? Good to hear as I have come across a lot of people saying that you really need much more than that to run it properly. I will have a look at your template Lorenz, thanks for that info.

Now to consider the overall cost including a 1 TB SSD to store it! Gold fits nicely on my existing 250 GB with room to spare.
Mac Mini Server, 2.0 GHz i7 quad core, 16 GB ram / Slave PC, 3.4 GHz i7 quad, 32 GB ram, 275 GB Crucial SSD for libraries / macOS 10.12.6, Windows 7 Pro / Logic Pro X 10.4.4 / Sibelius 6.2 / Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 / Metric Halo ULN-2+DSP / Dynaudio BM5A monitors.

Hollywood Orchestra Gold / Hollywood Solo Instruments Gold / EWQLSO Platinum / multiple other libraries from EW, NI, Soniccouture etc.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusmax View Post
So it sounds like I might be able to make good use of Diamond even with only 32 GB?
Definitely, I'll admit that the template I have is probably not the most optimized one.
But I loaded it and used it without issues on multiple projects of mine.

Basically, it all comes down to how many instruments you're using and optimizing your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusmax View Post
Now to consider the overall cost including a 1 TB SSD to store it! Gold fits nicely on my existing 250 GB with room to spare.
If you're looking for an external one, I can recommend the Samsung T5. Currently ~150/1TB.
I've used its predecessor T1 for some time, and later added two T5s to my studio.

Edit: Just realized that there's a T7. Supposed to be even 2x faster, if your computer is USB 3.2Gen 2 & UASP mode compatible. No personal experience, though.

Last edited by LMW; 03-12-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks again Lorenz. I'd need an internal SSD as the PC doesn't have USB-3, being an older model. I'm looking at the current Crucial ones or something similar.

TBH I'm still weighing up the advantages of having the Diamond version as I find Gold has been adequate for most of my needs to date. (I also have the Gold version of the solo instruments). It's just the upgrade is at a pretty good price at the moment..

Old 03-14-2020, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Ah, understood. Crucial is good, too.

There are a few benefits to Diamond: 24-bit samples, featuring five microphone positions: Main, Close, Stage, Mid, and Surround. Also Hollywood Strings Diamond has Divisi Instruments (which are where you record every other player that shares a stand - A players or B players in the strings sections) and also has real recorded Bow Change Legatos as an extra recorded articulation.

Though if you're currently comfortable with Gold, you could keep using those as well.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I am aware of the differences between the two versions. It's hard to see a real benefit in having 24-bit samples as I doubt if the difference is audible and they take up significantly more space and RAM. I can live without Bow Change Legatos as there are more than enough articulations already. I'd only really be getting it for the extra mics in terms of final mixing and for the Divisi mics as I'd like to be able use Divisi sections from time to time. Which is why I have been questioning if the 32 GB will be enough to take advantage of the different mics. So I suppose it comes down to whether it is possible to load several mics at the same time for a full template with 32 GB and if not, how to manage this so that I can take advantage of those extra mics. For example would I end up having to load only one mic at a time, bouncing those tracks to audio, then loading another mic and doing the same in order to have them available for mixing?

Sorry about the detail but it is helping me to think this through in order to figure out the practical implications of trying to run (and make full use of) Diamond with such limited RAM.

Thanks for your input Lorenz.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

The mic-positions are the main difference. - I've asked a colleague of mine who's also using Hollywood Orchestra Diamond on a 32GB system in a professional setting for input from him. He'll get around to that tomorrow, probably.

The template I use initially loads a single mic. When everything is orchestrated, I start loading the rest and mixing section by section and bouncing to audio. Then the next section and so on and so forth.

Last edited by LMW; 03-15-2020 at 12:55 PM.