Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 08-24-2017, 11:34 AM

keyman1216 is on a distinguished road
Default Should I Buy This for Use with Cloud?

Hi,

I need advice on whether this system would be good running Composer Cloud plug-ins, occasionally with Stylus. Nothing crazy that uses many, many samples at a time.

Keyman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sweetwater-C...IAAOSwGdhZmeJk

I like the fact that it's already set up for audio optimization.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:42 PM

PaulieDC is on a distinguished road

An i5 with 12GB of ram are both pretty low on speed scale, but you do have SATA SSDs in that rig that the seller added. That helps a lot. On the plus side, 700 bucks for that is a steal. If that rig was handed to me to use, I would do one thing, get that ram maxed out. It's pretty cheap right now and 12GB is not enough. But max ram with the added SSDs and the weaker i5 will work for your needs as you described. It won't handle a 250-track orchestral template with every articulation known to man, lol, but general should be fine. The only reason i5's are not the best for this is because they don't so 2 threads per core like i7s, but the CPU is still one of the fastest parts of the chain. Slowest by far are the hard drives. Mechanical are useless, SATA SSDs are decent and that's what you'll get. The new NVMe SSDs are 10x faster that SATA so THOSE will be the MIDI composer's next huge addition to a speedier DAW, by leaps and bounds.
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | EW Pianos Platinum & Symphonic Gold | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS / Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:39 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't waste your money, it's probably about 5 years old. Plus, it's an i5 with only 12GB Ram. If you are planning to use the Hollywood stuff, 16GB is a minimum but I would definitely go 32GB along with SSD's for the libraries. I would also get a good audio interface.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 AM

keyman1216 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, guys. Just as I was about to pull the trigger, I discovered a one year old system with an i7 and 16GB Ram, upgrade-able to more. It wasn't even that much more money.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:49 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

If you go to a local computer shop, you could probably have a brand new i7 built from scratch for around $1000, complete with SSD's and 32GB Ram.