Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 10-29-2017, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

action9000 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to action9000
Default Significant difference in load time between cheap and high-end SSDs?

I'm beginning to plan out a new build and I was just curious on the real-world differences between my 2012 SSDs and a modern high-end m.2 SSD.

People with M.2 drives containing libraries, is there a tangible benefit to using M.2 over a SATA SSD when loading/streaming samples? Is it worth investing in enough M.2 storage for some libraries or should I stick with SATA and call it a day?

What about the difference between older SSDs (Crucial M4 and such) to the current-gen SATA SSDs like the 850 Evo? Is there something tangible here when it comes to load times or streaming?

Thanks!
Samples on SSDs

FL Studio 64-bit / Cubase 8.5 Pro
Windows 10 Professional
HW Orchestra Diamond, EWQLSO Platinum, MoR, Colossus, Solo Violin, variety of 3rd-party libraries
Old 10-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

tommyrack13 is on a distinguished road

I recently built a new PC slave computer that has two main internal sample drives - one of which is a Samsung EVO 850 and the other is an M.2 Samsung SM961. The whole system is pretty quick and I wouldn't say that there is a particularly noticeable speed differential. Having said this, I do have different libraries on the different drives and there might be a difference in how quickly the libraries themselves would load that isn't accounted for on this. I arranged the libraries so that the M.2 is working with the more resource hungry libraries, so perhaps the difference would be tangible! It's definitely not hugely obvious though.

T
Various EWQL & other libraries - Cubase Pro 9.5 - Logic Pro X - Sibelius 7
Old 10-31-2017, 09:56 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

I don't notice any performance difference between my old cheap Kingston and the newer Samsung Evo that I installed a few months ago. That Kingston has been chugging along since 2011.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Patanjali is on a distinguished road

All SSDs have plenty of bandwidth for audio samples. What makes SSDs shine is the low latency. SSDs have really taken storage off the critical path, making the CPU the main limiting factor.
HW: Nmn U87Ai : JA-251x2 : Korg padKontrol+nanoKEY2 : No audio for now : M-Patch2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win8.1P64 : Cubase 8.0.20 : Goliath : SO PP : Pianos : Gypsy : SV : Sup/Drum 2.0 : AT7 : Ozone 6Ad : RX3Ad.