Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:47 AM

arseniyonline is on a distinguished road
Default SSD RAID 0 worth it?

Hello. Wondering if anyone tried 2x SSDs in raid 0, and if they have is it worth it?

I heard Raid 0 is good for transfer but imposes other latencies when it comes to general operation.

Is it worth the money buying another identical SSD for RAID 0 or shall I just keep to what I've got? (don't want to throw money away)
Old 09-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/s...51621&p=767572

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On Harddrives, On DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.30, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii
Old 09-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Gold Member

-Lawson- is on a distinguished road

I have three 250GB 850 EVOs in RAID0 for my EW stuff and it works fine. I don't know if it's worth it as I don't have a comparison, but I can load all of HS Diamond in under a minute.

Digital Performer 8 + Logic Pro 9
All libraries on SSDs
EWQL products:
Hollywood Strings Diamond, Hollywood Brass/Orchestral Woodwinds Gold, Pianos Gold, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Stormdrum 2 Pro, Ra, Spaces

www.lawsonmadlener.com
Old 09-05-2015, 12:02 PM

arseniyonline is on a distinguished road

Thank you, I guess I won't get RAID 0 and save myself some money, although it does mention it in the manual which maybe should be omitted? (no pun intended). While this post may still catch some attention: Has anyone used samsung's RAPID mode and noticed a difference? I guess I'll end up getting samsung since it's seems to be once of the cheapsest with good value, so i'll post if I see any difference on here anywa (may be a while though).
Old 09-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quoting Patanjali again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patanjali View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboo View Post
should I use RAPID mode or not?
I would recommend that you do NOT use it, as it increases the risk of occasional hiccups
because the maximum latency goes to 31ms from just an ms.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On Harddrives, On DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Old 09-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Patanjali is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arseniyonline View Post
Has anyone used samsung's RAPID mode and noticed a difference?
Testing has shown that the maximum latency can go from under a ms without RAPID, up to 31ms with.

While some have tried it and had no adverse effects, you probably don't want to be the bunny that fails a session because you tried it out.

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB - 4K Random Write, QD1:
______________ Average Latency _ Max Latency
RAPID Disabled ___ 0.0435 ms _____ 0.7512 ms
RAPID Enabled ___ 0.0135 ms _____ 31.4259 ms

Unless you really need it, it may be better to omit it for DAW/sampler use, as the maximum latency needs to be constrained if wanting to avoid clicks and splutters, especially if wanting to play in near real-time with other tracks. The improved average latency is well below what will be noticeable, considering a 1ms recording latency is considered very good.

However, for normal use data drives, it will probably work OK.

[Hello Lorenz: You just beat me to it while I was still editing my post!!]
HW: Nmn U87Ai : JA-251x2 : Korg padKontrol+nanoKEY2 : No audio for now : M-Patch2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win8.1P64 : Cubase 8.0.20 : Goliath : SO PP : Pianos : Gypsy : SV : Sup/Drum 2.0 : AT7 : Ozone 6Ad : RX3Ad.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hehe. (Im missing the emoticon for the diabolical laugh.)

Thanks for the link, Patanjali.

Last edited by LMW; 09-05-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lawson- View Post
... but I can load all of HS Diamond in under a minute.
Hello,

In the interests of some stats, please list the times, to the nearest second, for:
a) Initially loading HS Diamond, into a freshly opened standalone instance.
b) Immediately loading it again (Replace), without loading anything else in between.

If you have Pianos, could you do the same for a full master patch of the Bosendorfer?
HW: Nmn U87Ai : JA-251x2 : Korg padKontrol+nanoKEY2 : No audio for now : M-Patch2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win8.1P64 : Cubase 8.0.20 : Goliath : SO PP : Pianos : Gypsy : SV : Sup/Drum 2.0 : AT7 : Ozone 6Ad : RX3Ad.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

-Lawson- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patanjali View Post
Hello,

In the interests of some stats, please list the times, to the nearest second, for:
a) Initially loading HS Diamond, into a freshly opened standalone instance.
b) Immediately loading it again (Replace), without loading anything else in between.

If you have Pianos, could you do the same for a full master patch of the Bosendorfer?
Ok! I'll do it tomorrow morning. I have Pianos Gold, will that affect anything?

Digital Performer 8 + Logic Pro 9
All libraries on SSDs
EWQL products:
Hollywood Strings Diamond, Hollywood Brass/Orchestral Woodwinds Gold, Pianos Gold, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Stormdrum 2 Pro, Ra, Spaces

www.lawsonmadlener.com
Old 09-06-2015, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lawson- View Post
I have Pianos Gold, will that affect anything?
Thank you.

Probably not significantly. We are testing the relativities of the sample delivery methods here, so the actual size of the library is not so critical, as long as it is for exactly the same large patch.

I prefer large patches, because they take longer, thus being easier to get more accurate times, given that we can't easily automate the process to include accurate start and end times.

Of course, all this is in lieu of having a well-defined testing environment and lots of time to test out various permutations.

However, we just have to do with what we have at our disposal, so if we can measure relativities, we might be able to make some recommendations, but not with the degree of confidence that the above type of testing could do.

While a 70-80% confidence level is not as good as 95-100%, it is a lot better than the 'make it up as we go along' free-for-all we have now.

Certainly what would help is more people doing the same test. While the times would not necessarily be the same, the ratios should have the same sort of magnitudes, for a given hardware combination.
Closed Thread

Tags
rapid