Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 06-17-2019, 04:18 AM

Magic Giraffe Soundworks is on a distinguished road
Default Getting Started with Spaces II

Good morning folks,

So I've been using Hollywood Orchestra for just about a year now. I've had a big orchestra project I've been working on for that entire time, which has really allowed me to learn the ins and outs of the libraries. I've still got much more to learn about all the patches and the best ways to use them, but I'm much more comfortable now than I was when I began.

However, for this project I'm working on, the band has a separate producer/audio engineer. Therefore, I've been avoiding using Spaces in order to give him the most control over the stems I've been sending over.

I want to start using Spaces because I feel it'll be that big thing that puts my orchestra pieces at the next level. However, last time I used Spaces (probably back in 2014) I had little-to-no-luck in getting it to sound good. I've learned a lot more now, but I'd still like an "easy" (we're all laughing now) way to use Spaces so that I don't have to think too much about it.

I am using VEP on a separate slave computer to run all of my instruments. So before I dive into Spaces (because it looks intimidating from the outside), I'd like to get your opinions on the following:

How do you like to use Spaces? Do you use one instance that applies to every instrument somehow? Or do you use one instance for each instrument and/or section?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
-EW Composer Cloud Plus, EWQLSO Platinum, Symphonic Choirs Gold, QL RA

Magic Giraffe Soundworks!
http://www.magicgiraffesoundworks.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKM...OmDffPp-a1jeQg
http://www.facebook.com/magicgiraffesoundworks
Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

Hi Magic Giraffe!

Keep in mind I'm a filthy amateur, but this is how I do it.

Spaces II has some halls that have "instrument-specific" impulses (SoCal Hall comes to mind, but others too). The instrument-specific tour in Spaces II also has "Epic Film Final Verb" (or similar). What I do, inspired by Nick Phoenix's post on VI-Control (that I'm currently trying to find; I'll update if I do), is this: route all instrument sections into their own reverb (Strings for strings, Brass for brass, you get the idea), then use a "final verb" on the master bus* to glue it all together.

Stuff tends to get somewhat muddy in the lower end, and since I suck at mixing (and I mean really suck) I found it helps to use Spaces II's high pass filter that only affects the reverb, not the original signal - makes the reverb less muddy and helps a lot.

*In my template, I have some stuff that doesn't need extra reverb, so I don't actually put it on the master bus. I have an "Out Verb" and "Out No Verb" bus (that both go into the master bus); everything (after effects) gets routed into "Out Verb" except tracks that don't get the extra finishing verb, that goes into "Out No Verb". My "Epic Film Final Verb" Spaces II instance is on the "Out Verb" bus.

Edit: can't find Nick's post for the life of me, sorry!

Last edited by Dominik Raab; 06-19-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Spaces is easy to use ... don't be intimidated. Just insert it on your bus / FX channel, and experiment.

My default orchestral reverb is the San Francisco Hall, for which I use the front reverb for the two front channels (stereo) and the rear reverb for the two rear channels (for quad sessions).

My orchestral template has about two dozen separate reverb channels, to which I route individual instruments / groups, depending on what I want. By default the SF Hall is active as well as the LA Piano Hall (for the Boesendorfer piano).

In addition I have instrument specific reverbs for each of the separate groups (ww, brass, percussion, strings). If I don't use them, they are offline to save CPU / memory, as are most all instruments. My DAW laptop is pretty dated, 10 years old, with 24 GB of RAM which is not impressive by today's standards so I have to be judicious using too much at the same time. My orchestral template has hundreds of tracks, but most of them just "sit there" until the instruments are brought online. With Reaper you can build a template with everything under the sun, no track limit, and you can create folders and subfolders etc.

Best thing to do is to use your ears and musical judgment. If you want to bring out solo instruments, use close mikes and go light on the reverb; but for EW Piano I tend to avoid the close mikes as there's too much "hammer" noise which if used with reverbs, can result in weird audio artifacts. With a large template, don't use too much reverb or things will get pretty muddy.