Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 06-26-2019, 01:42 PM

Andreas Busk is on a distinguished road
Default question on multiple computer licenses

Hi All,

I have a CC X-subscription that I use with my macbook. I have all my CCX-samples on an external SDD. I use a machine license, not an iLok.

My work now wants to give me a stationary PC and I want to use that with CCX as well.
Is it true that I will need another CCX-subscription for this PC?
Will this new subscription be the same price as my current(EDU-pricing) suscription?
Also - can I use the same external harddisk with the CCX-samples for both computers even though they dont have the same machine license?

Hope someone can help!

Best,

Andreas
Old 06-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

Hi Andreas,

you only need multiple licenses if you want to use several computers at the same time (connecting them via VE Pro, etc). If you simply switch from one computer to the other, not run them simultaneously, you can deactivate the machine license on one computer and activate it on the other.

That does turn into a hassle, though. I'd suggest investing in an iLok. I've never tried to run CCX with an iCloud, but I think it should work like any other license - plug the iLok into the machine you want to use, done.

It's certainly cheaper than two CCX subscriptions and less of a hassle than deactivating-activating-deactivating-activating every time you switch computers.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

As Dominik correctly mentioned: You can move your license between computers using the iLok License Manager on each device. (https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager)

You would need to sign-in on the computer that the license is currently activated to in order to de-activate it. This will revert the license back to being available in your iLok Account. Then, sign-in to the License Manager on the other computer and activate it.

Alternately, you could purchase an iLok Key and activate the license to that device, so you just need to move the USB key to whichever computer you wish to use. Depending on how often you want to move the license, please consider this option. You can get an iLok key from the iLok website or from any other 3rd party retailer (e.g. Amazon) who has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Busk View Post
Will this new subscription be the same price as my current(EDU-pricing) suscription?
Yes, the 2nd license for the CCX EDU subscription would be the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Busk View Post
Also - can I use the same external harddisk with the CCX-samples for both computers even though they dont have the same machine license?
Yes, the Play engine and library are not connected to the license for that. You would simply need to plug in the harddrive and point the Play engine to the libraries once for each computer.

1. Open PLAY in standalone mode (not in your DAW)

2. Find the Libraries window in the upper left hand corner of PLAY. If you don't see the Libraries window, click Browser at the top of the interface.

3. If you see the library title listed in the window already, right click on it and choose "Set Product Library Directory." If you don't see it listed, right click anywhere in the window and choose "Add Product Library" and choose the product you’re trying to add from the menu that pops up.

4. Navigate to where you have your libraries stored on your hard drive. Inside of the each library’s folder, you should see two folders: an Instruments folder, and a*Samples folder. Highlight and choose the Instruments folder

Cheers.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, My Template, Tips and Tricks, OS & DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii