Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Music Cafe

Old 04-08-2019, 02:13 PM

sui is on a distinguished road
Default Hungarian Dance No. 5

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-644509005/20190408a

My first time trying to seriously use Hollywood Orchestra Diamond and probably around my third time doing serious composing using virtual instruments. Brahm's Hungarian Dance No. 5 seemed like a good piece to practise on. I'd be grateful for any pointers for improvement.

I've learned a lot about how to use EWHO while making this (finger positions for strings are a godsend!). Still there's a lot of kinks I couldn't fix:
  • During the fast staccato runs the strings seem to recede into the background. This is clearly a reverb issue but after hours of tweaking I just gave up.
  • Convincing string arpeggios didn't ever seem to work out.
  • Fast legato slurs (8ths at around 130bpm) drove me insane when using single legato patches because the transitions were always too slow. At the end I gave up and just used detache and short patches almost everywhere. The very last run even uses the run patches which only work because the part is fast enough.
  • Molto vibrato doesn't seem to cut it for the fortissimo string parts, I want mooore.
  • I think I seriously failed making effective use of dynamics between different parts across the board. I feel that there's not enough difference in timbre. Using different finger positions helped greatly here.
  • There should be more differentiation between the repeating parts (1:10 is the biggest offender because it's all in one go). I tried hand drawing the respective MIDI controllers, but I probably should have fiddled more with something else instead.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 AM

Yank Inches is on a distinguished road

All in all, I think with VST's you're still limited to what you can do and how perfect you can make it. I think even with the restrictions it has, you did an amazing job. Great work!