Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-10-2019, 12:44 PM

jkoseattle is on a distinguished road
Default Instrument drop outs

In Cakewalk, I loaded a string patch into Play, and it plays fine. I then start playback of the existing song so that I can play along, it seems ok. When I stop playback however, the strings no longer play at all. I can see that Cakewalk is getting Midi data when I press keys, but no sound. Re-loading the patch fixes it. This also happened on a different Play instance yesterday which had 5 instruments loaded into separate Midi channels, 1 thru 5. I went and did some other stuff, and when I came back to this instance, I found that 2 of the 5 instruments no longer played back, though the other three did. What's going on?
Old 05-11-2019, 03:31 PM

danno is on a distinguished road

Too hard to say without sitting in front of your rig. As a general tip most of the time when an instrument isn't sounding is because I need to send a CC volume level to it, as sometimes those get reset. So I just fiddle my FaderMaster slider and it starts to sound.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 AM

Well, 73 views and 1 reply, and that 1 reply was the answer! Thanks Danno, but what a pain!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 AM

danno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoseattle View Post
Well, 73 views and 1 reply, and that 1 reply was the answer! Thanks Danno, but what a pain!
Yeah easy mistake to make. I put all my tracks into Sum Stacks (Logic) with a MIDI region in the Sum which just sends out periodic reset CC values (mod, volume, etc). I like my projects to look like a score so it's nice to have the control type MIDI in a control track, with the instrument tracks having just notes. The manual also recommends sending out initial CC reset values by the way.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

The Hollywood series especially requires midi CC data for playback. Not sure why cakewalk does this but their default setting is to have controller information zero on playback. You can turn this off by going to Project >> MIDI >> Preferences and turning off "Zero controllers when play stops" and "Patch/Controller Searchback Before Play Starts” (that later option changed terms at some point in Sonar - I believe in Platinum - to now be "MIDI Event Chase on Play”

Turn those both off and you shouldn't have that problem
Old 05-15-2019, 08:28 AM

Thank you! Works! That was an answer that I didn't even get on the Cakewalk forums. Now I'll go and tell them over there.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:51 AM

klimbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpluebell View Post
The Hollywood series especially requires midi CC data for playback. Not sure why cakewalk does this but their default setting is to have controller information zero on playback. You can turn this off by going to Project >> MIDI >> Preferences and turning off "Zero controllers when play stops" and "Patch/Controller Searchback Before Play Starts” (that later option changed terms at some point in Sonar - I believe in Platinum - to now be "MIDI Event Chase on Play”

Turn those both off and you shouldn't have that problem
exactly , just he should turn both off and he shouldn't have that problem
that happend with me