Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 PM

Craig Addy is on a distinguished road
Question Unwanted sound artifacts on entry note of instrument

Hello,

I'm new here and new to EastWest and Virtual Orchestra libraries in general. I'm having a great time learning how to use East West. I've just completed orchestrating a composition with Hollywood Strings Gold.

I'm encountering a strange problem when playing back and bouncing the piece. I noticed the very first note of the 1st Violins has a strange and very irritating glitch in the sound. It's subtle but not what I want for the opening note of a smooth legato piece. It almost sounds like the player's bow has hit the string a little too hard and then immediately backed off the pressure. It's not a pop or click or absence of sound.

I noticed it spradically when I was playing back the piece in Logic Pro X. Then when I rewound and played it again, it was sometimes gone and sometimes not gone. I tried a discreet little CC11 expression envelope to evade the problem. That sounded good and seemed to work.

Then, when I bounced the piece and listened to the exported track, the same problem occurred with the very first note of the 2nd violins. Thinking my little CC11 envelope would solve the problem, I did that and bounced it again. Now the problem has reoccurred on the 1st note of the 1st violins. So the CC11 envelope is not the solution.

The patches in question are:
1st Violins Sus 13 RR KSFP Ni
2nd Violins Sus 13 RR KSFP Ni

The only thing I could think of is possibly it's an Upbow/Downbow issue. I understand with RR patches, the upbow and downbow sounds alternate, so if you rewind, the first note might be a downbow instead of the original upbow or vice versa. I tested this. When I solo the instrument and then cycle through the first note repeatedly, the onset sound issue does alternate between the desired and undesired sound back and forth like clockwork. If the RR upbow/downbow is the issue, is there a sensible workaround?

The CPU and Disk I/O shows very little activity during playback, so I don't think it's a computer resource issue.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

In terms of sensible workarounds: how about the Round Robin reset button? It's on page 24 of the HS manual if you need more info - but I don't know off the top of my head if it affects Up/Downbow instruments or just shorts with RR.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:50 PM

Craig Addy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Raab View Post
In terms of sensible workarounds: how about the Round Robin reset button? It's on page 24 of the HS manual if you need more info - but I don't know off the top of my head if it affects Up/Downbow instruments or just shorts with RR.
Thanks,

I reviewed the manual and worked out how to put in a reset note trigger for the Round Robin at the beginning of the piece. Turns out I want the first note to be a gentler upbow as it's the stronger downbow that creates the edgy start, so I added an out of range note between the RR reset note trigger and the first audible note. Now it plays back reliably. Now it has me wondering if there are any other spots in the pice that would benefit from the same. However, nothing is glaring at me so far.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Raden Agung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Addy View Post
Hello,

I'm new here and new to EastWest and Virtual Orchestra libraries in general. I'm having a great time learning how to use East West. I've just completed orchestrating a composition with Hollywood Strings Gold.

I'm encountering a strange problem when playing back and bouncing the piece. I noticed the very first note of the 1st Violins has a strange and very irritating glitch in the sound. It's subtle but not what I want for the opening note of a smooth legato piece. It almost sounds like the player's bow has hit the string a little too hard and then immediately backed off the pressure. It's not a pop or click or absence of sound.

I noticed it spradically when I was playing back the piece in Logic Pro X. Then when I rewound and played it again, it was sometimes gone and sometimes not gone. I tried a discreet little CC11 expression envelope to evade the problem. That sounded good and seemed to work.

Then, when I bounced the piece and listened to the exported track, the same problem occurred with the very first note of the 2nd violins. Thinking my little CC11 envelope would solve the problem, I did that and bounced it again. Now the problem has reoccurred on the 1st note of the 1st violins. So the CC11 envelope is not the solution.

The patches in question are:
1st Violins Sus 13 RR KSFP Ni
2nd Violins Sus 13 RR KSFP Ni

The only thing I could think of is possibly it's an Upbow/Downbow issue. I understand with RR patches, the upbow and downbow sounds alternate, so if you rewind, the first note might be a downbow instead of the original upbow or vice versa. I tested this. When I solo the instrument and then cycle through the first note repeatedly, the onset sound issue does alternate between the desired and undesired sound back and forth like clockwork. If the RR upbow/downbow is the issue, is there a sensible workaround?

The CPU and Disk I/O shows very little activity during playback, so I don't think it's a computer resource issue.

Same like me when first time using Hollywood Orchestra. Then i realized must play notation with MOD Wheel. The best friend of Hollywood Orchestra is Mod wheel. Try it now and you will be happy as i am using this amazing library.

Tags
hollywood strings gold, sound artifacts