Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 PM

jeffrosick is on a distinguished road
Default Ideal Computer for EWQL

What would be the ideal Mac or PC computer specs (and OS) to use EWQL CC to its fullest potential, without encountering buffering, latency, or crashing? Does more memory (e.g. 64GB RAM instead of 16GB RAM) ACTUALLY equate to and enable the use of more virtual instruments?

For example, on my very very old system (mid 2009 iMac, 16GB RAM, Snow Leopard, Play engine runs from SSD, instruments on Lightning Bolt 6TB HD), Hollywood Strings will make clicking noises with each note played, and any tracks with Hollywood instruments (Strings, Brass, Winds, etc.) must be frozen for uninterrupted playback. Also, I get to about 40 instruments/tracks/lanes and that maxes out my memory every time.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 06-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

Great question. I still use my old PC that i build after the specs EWQL had on their old test machines. I've did some tests back then and found i could load over 100 instrument patches from various libraries (SO, MOR, Gypsy, Pianos, Choir, etc) At that point i didnt bother trying to load more.. It was more that enough for me.. I could probably load more if the patches were light, and probably way less if i only used heavy patches and multible mic positions.

My old but trusty PC have been built over time and lately i've just added more SSD's.
At first i upgarded the CPU and RAM, but i quickly found out that most HQ sample instruments are way to big for a regular "good speced" computer. Only a small portion of it is loaded into RAM, the rest is streamed from the HD/SDD.. I have since then replaced all HD's with SSD's and have spread all virtual instrument samples on 4 SDD's ranging from 512GB-2TB (used for samples only). That made a huge diffence here. OS and DAW runs on a seperate SDD of course.

If you run your instruments from HD then you should move those over to a new seperate SSD to prevent clicking noise/dropout's.. If you max out your memory and need/want more instrument tracks, then obivious you need more RAM as well.

Calling out Mods or anyone from EWQL! It would be great if you guys could post an updated version of the "Specs used to test EWQL software/samples" for both PC and MAC. Im sure a lot has changed since the last one.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Good question ... the answer probably depends on how many instruments you want to load simultaneously, and how complex your (orchestral) template is. If you want to load everything under the sun and multiple mike positions, then the more powerful, the better.

I have a 10 year old PC laptop custom built way back when by PC Audiolabs, and it's still going strong, but at this point it is showing its age: battery has been dead for years (no replacement available anywhere in the world), CMOS battery is dead well, cooling fans are a bit noisy at times. But it's still running, and it can handle even heavy hitters like the powerful computer patches from Hollywood Strings Platinum. Specs: Windows 7 64 bit professional, core i7 processor, 24 GB of RAM, 3 internal drives with 1 TB (boot) / 2 TB (samples) / 2 TB (samples) space, enough for everything put out by EW and then some. Even by today's standards that is no slouch.

If money is no objective, then I can warmly recommend buying a custom built PC by PC Audiolabs. Their flagship OB1 desktop computer has a dual Xeon processor (18 cores), 256 GB of RAM, and something like 7 SSD with so much space for samples, it can easily hold everything by EW, VSL, Spitfire, and what have you. No cheap but you get lifetime support, everything is tested and tweaked for your specific setup. They exclusively build pro audio laptops and desktops (and for video editors as well), with everything stripped that isn't necessary (cute little games, etc.). Their top of the line laptop isn't exactly a slouch either, with up to 64 GB of RAM and 4 or more SSD drives. Good luck finding a macbook pro with those specs.

However, if you are a mac guy and money is no object either, check out the mac pro that was announced last week or the week before, which has very impressive specs (up to 1.5 TB of memory), and an even more impressive price tag if fully spec'ed out (probably north of $40K). That is a nice little tax writeoff for guys like John Powell, but very steep for most mortals.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
If you want to load everything under the sun
Then, you can just forget about it...