Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

PeterKorcek is on a distinguished road
Default Your favourite articulations from Hollywood series

Hey, do you have a list of articulations that you use most in your songs? I know it might vary depending on what type of songs you are creating or how expressive/detailed you wanna be, but still there must be some patches or articulations that you go to first, maybe just for general mockup or tracking.

Im currently updating the template structure, so Im trying to figure out which patches I should include at the beginning of the tracking. Right now I have KS patch and then some additional articulations to get me started (Hollywood series Diamond)

thanks for sharing

pk
Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

wish910 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to wish910

Hello, PeterKorcek:

Good questions! I have the same question as you do... In fact, I have no questions when using EWQLSO Strings, but HS really confuse me. Some pitches it seem to sound great, but when I try to use it to make a fluent phrase, it is, however, hard to achieve.

For example, I can't use HS to make string sounds as this video does...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG1pRNQAByI

Any idea?
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

You can find an update and more detailed version here: http://soundsonline-forums.com/showt...56007&p=787004

Ok, IŽll just do a short list of my favorites resp. my usual template. Obviously, while composing I add / delete patches.
IMO the strings are the most important, which is why I always load a few more than necessary.
Better to delete, than having to search for a patch you like / need.
I (currently) donŽt use a lot of woodwinds and brass, thatŽs why I mostly stick to the KS patches.

Strings

Violin:
Slur & Spic Smooth Run
KS Sustain
KSFP Sus RR Ni (with unloaded 3rd and 4th string)
Non Vibr RR Ni
Leg Port Ni
MOD Stac Marc
Pizzicato RR
Bartok Pizz RR

The viola, cello and contrabass use their resp. patches.

Woodwinds

For the woodwinds I only load the KS Sustain patches for each instrument.
The only exception is the flute, where I also load the KS Runs FX patch.

Brass

For the 6 French Horns, 3 Trumpets and the Solo Tuba I use KS Effects, KS Sus_Short and MOD Marc Short RR.
For the 4 Trombones the KS Master.

I additionally use the Wagner Tuben (from SO) KS Master and ModXfd Sustain Fade.

Percussion The larges section of my percussion comes from TDS, SD2, SD3 and GhWr,
so the following only includes my HOP stuff:

Celesta
Marimba
Xylophone + Xylophone Rolls
Glockenspiel
Vibraphone
Triangles
Orch. Perc Basics Kit 1 + 2
Timpani KS Felt + KS Hard
Cymbals
Mahler Hammer

YouŽll just have to check out, which cymbals you like. I think I listend to all of them and then chose randomly. ^^
I still have no clue why I included the Mahler Hammer.

Well, those are the Hollywood patches I open with my usual orchestral template. The mics are always main. I rarely switch.
Furthermore I got a large choir section, pianos, a further few perc sections and a small ethnics part.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, My Template, Tips and Tricks, OS & DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung 1x T1 & 2x T5 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii

Last edited by LMW; 01-16-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

PeterKorcek is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing your favourites! With KS and Cubase, are you using Expression maps to switch between articulations?
Old 03-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Nope. IŽm not using expression maps, at least not currently. Only keyswitches!
Up to now, my main priority was getting the samples to sound good...
After next week, when IŽll deliver my songs to the university profs,
IŽll be finally able to go through every chapter of the manual.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, My Template, Tips and Tricks, OS & DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung 1x T1 & 2x T5 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

I really like using the Leg_Acc patches in HB. The ability to control the strength of the attack and have true legato in one patch is incredibly useful.

Generally with brass I'll have (I'm not at my DAW so I can't give precise names)

Leg_Acc (or just plain leg)
Sus_Acc
Short Mod_Speed
Sus Mute
Stacc Mute
Flutter
Trill H/T and W/T

Then for French Horns add rips

I find I can get through 98% of what I need with those patches for Brass. I have to stop myself reaching for the 6 French Horns patches at every moment..... I'm also really liking the 2_TPT patches more and more.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

CSharpDude is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing your templates! Thinking about using Transmidifier. I've done a proof of concept project but can't decide if I want to go that way. I hate depending on a 3rd party piece of software. What if it blows up under Windows 10? It's unlikely, but I like simple.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination
and life to everything
Plato

Sonar ProStudio 64, Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V, CORSAIR Veng. Pro 32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen
Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Well, you donŽt have to upgrade to W10, IŽm quite sure that if there arenŽt any super-duper features coming, that IŽll stay on W7.
And till then PLAY-Pro will have come out. These KS-features will (hopefully) be available in it.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:02 AM

Vadium is on a distinguished road

What case is better for non-clipping work of HS?
(If i want to use about 10 patches of Long articulations(power folder) and Divisi A and B (3 mic positions):

1)3 instances of Play: Long, Div A, Div B, placed in one instance of VePRO
2) 1-2 patches per Play = about 24 instances of play in one instance of VePRO
3) 1-2 patches per Play = about 24 instances of play in 3 instances of VePro%: Long, Div A, Div B
Old 10-16-2015, 07:05 AM
Gold Member

lejmer is on a distinguished road

I basically use it all, haha. But what I mainly use is (it's all the hollywood series):

Woodwinds: leg slur, staccatissimo, both trills, portato, playable runs, recorded runs (only major and minor, both up and down).

Brass: leg slur, staccatissimo, marc long, marc short.

Percussion: whatever the song needs, but more often than not, I use timpani (mostly the hard mallet samples, but if the piece demands it, I use the felt mallet samples), glockenspiel, and one of the combo kits

Strings: leg slur & port (not the powerful system patches), staccatissimo, spiccato, pizzicato, marc short, playable runs, trills, and tremolo (not the measured tremolo).
My name is Anthony (birthname Anton) Berlin, and I am a professional composer living in Sweden. I'm not going to bore you with which sample libraries I own, but I'd love to have a chat with you, about everything between heaven and earth. Take care!

www.anthonyberlin.com
SoundCloud
Closed Thread

Tags
lmw